Hattiesburg, Mississippi – Ordinance No. 3316 allowing for the operation of golf carts and low-speed vehicles on city streets, in accordance with state law, goes into effect on Thursday, September 15, 2022. This ordinance stipulates that all golf carts and low-speed vehicles must be registered through the City Clerk’s office in order for vehicles to be operable on city streets, where the vehicles can be operated throughout the city and outlines compliance with state law.
To register, residents will need to bring the following to City Hall (200 Forrest Street) to the City Clerk’s office on the 2nd Floor:
- Driver’s license
- Proof of insurance/financial ability
- Make & model and VIN/serial number
- $100 for registration
Key details for the ordinance include:
- Owners and operators must register their golf cart or low-speed vehicle with the City Clerk’s Office at 200 Forrest Street (2nd Floor).
- Drivers operating a golf cart or low-speed vehicle must have a valid driver’s license and proof of financial responsibility with them at all times, as required by state law.
- Vehicles must meet safety equipment requirements under 49 CFR Section 571.500 (headlamps, front and rear turn signal lamps, tail lamps, stop lamps, reflect reflectors, exterior mirror mounted on driver’s or passenger’s side, parking brake, VIN number or Serial Number, Type 1 or Type 2 seatbelts, proper windshield and an alert sound).
- Operation is limited to the outside lane of multi-lane streets and roads, where applicable.
- The Hattiesburg Police Department will enforce all traffic and road-based regulations listed in the ordinance, in addition to all traffic and road-based laws of the State of Mississippi and the City of Hattiesburg. Citations will be written for the unauthorized operation of a golf cart or low-speed vehicle.
- Underage driving is not permitted and will be subject to a citation from the Hattiesburg Police Department for unlicensed driving. This is considered a misdemeanor, and a first offense could lead to a fine of up to $445.
Registered golf carts and low-speed vehicles may only be operated on public roads and streets where there is an established speed limit of 30 miles per hour or less. Additionally, the operation of golf carts and low-speed vehicles is prohibited on MDOT highways and interstates.
Per Section 3.2 of Ordinance 3316, the Traffic Committee has also established that the following roads and streets as prohibited for golf cart or low-speed vehicle operation due to high traffic counts, recommendations by governing authorities, street design and other factors that impede public safety.
- Beverly Hills Dr
- Bouie St
- Broadway Dr
- Campbell Dr
- Campbell Lp
- E Hardy St
- Edwards St
- Golf Course Rd
- Hall Ave
- Hardy St
- King Rd
- Lincoln Rd
- N 38th Ave
- Oak Grove Rd
- Old Hwy 11
- Old Hwy 42
- Pinehills Dr
- S 28th Ave
- S 40th Ave
- Veterans Memorial Dr
- W 4th St
- W 7th St
- W Pine St (Hwy 49 – Hardy St)
- Westover Dr
The above-prohibited streets and roads are in addition to any city streets and roads which have a speed limit greater than 30 mph and MDOT interstates or highways.
Residents interested in learning more about the ordinance or who need to download a registration form can visit hattiesburgms.com/cityclerk/golfcarts. Golf carts and low-speed vehicles can be registered at City Hall (200 Forrest Street) on the 2nd Floor.
Read original article by clicking here.