Irving was founded in 1903 by J.O. “Otto” Schulze and Otis Brown. Irving began in 1889 as an area called Gorbit, and in 1894 the name changed to Kit. Irving was incorporated April 14, 1914, with Otis Brown as the first mayor.
By the late nineteenth century, the Irving area was the site of churches, two cotton gins, a blacksmith shop and a general store. The Irving public school system dates to the 1909 establishment of Kit and Lively schools. Population growth was slow and sometimes halting, with only 357 residents in 1925, but a significant increase began in the 1930s. Along with all this history came some of the most interesting and cultural locations.
The Mustangs of Las Colinas: This is a magnificent sculpture that captures and immortalizes the spirit of Texas’ heritage. The running horses are representative of the sense of free spirit prevalent throughout the state, both in past times and the present. Both sculptures are awe-inspiring and deserve a stop the next time you’re in Irving!
The Marble Cows: At the Marble Cows, a statute honoring Ben Carpenter is prominently on display. In 1973, Mr. Carpenter unveiled the master plan for transforming his family’s ranch into a development. It was fondly named El Ranchito de Las Colinas, meaning the Little Ranch of the Hills. He envisioned a world-class development emerging from the black bottom land set in a floodplain of the Trinity River and boy did he do just that. The cows are located at the top of Bluebonnet Hill and stands as a memory of the Las Colinas ranchlands that were once a predominant feature of the area. The monument features five marble cows which were designed and sculpted by artist Harold Clayton.
Ruth Paine House: This cultural stop played a key role in one of the most infamous historical events of the 20th century. Marina Oswald spent a great deal of time here and the night prior to the assassination of President John F Kennedy, Lee also stayed here to retrieve his rifle, which he had hidden in the garage. Now a
Read more by clicking here.