PEARL, Miss. (MEMA) – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency urges Mississippians to prepare for potential winter weather and extreme cold next week. Residents should be prepared for potential ice, cold temperatures, and possible prolonged power outages. As an arctic blast is predicted to move across the state, it is important to stay informed, have emergency supplies like blankets and non-perishable food on hand, and ensure your home is adequately insulated. Preparedness is key to staying safe in winter weather.
Below are ways to prepare your family, home, and vehicle for the winter weather:
Winterize Your Home:
• Store dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove. • Insulate walls and attics; use caulk and weather-stripping around doors and windows. Install storm windows or cover windows with plastic. • Winterize your house, barn, shed, or any other structure that may provide shelter for your family, neighbors, livestock, or equipment. • Clear rain gutters, repair roof leaks, and cut away tree branches that could fall on a house or other structures during a storm. • Insulate pipes with insulation or newspapers and plastic and allow faucets to drip slightly during cold weather to avoid freezing. • Keep fire extinguishers on hand, and ensure everyone in your house knows how to use them. • Learn how to shut off water valves in the case of a pipe bursting. Unhook outdoor water hoses and wrap outdoor faucets. • Know ahead of time what you should do to help elderly or disabled friends, neighbors, or employees.
Your disaster go-kit for your family should include:
- Non-perishable food for family and pets
- Water (1 gallon/family member a day)
- Extra blankets
- Dry Firewood
- Additional medications
- First Aid Kit
- Phone Charger
- Hygiene Items
- Extra Batteries
Car Kit Checklist:
- Windshield scraper
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Jumper cables
- First aid kit
- Cell phone charger
- Emergency flares or reflectors
MEMA has many resources to help residents prepare for a storm, including the new MEMA app. The app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store free of charge. On the app, users can find checklists, shelter information, and customizable weather alerts tailored to each user. Our Disaster Guide demonstrates what to do before, during, and after a storm, including making an evacuation plan and building a disaster kit.
The Disaster Guide can be downloaded in Spanish and Vietnamese on the MEMA website, MSEMA.org.
Read original article by clicking here.